If you are planning to visit Sri Lanka for the first time, you might be wondering how to get around this beautiful island nation. There are many options for transportation in Sri Lanka, depending on your budget, comfort level and destination. Some of the most common modes of transport are:
- Buses: Buses are the cheapest and most widely available public transport in Sri Lanka. You can find buses that connect almost every town and city in the country, as well as some rural areas. However, buses can also be crowded and noisy, especially during peak hours. If you want a more comfortable and reliable bus service, you can opt for private buses or luxury coaches that operate on some routes.
- Trains: Trains are another trendy way of traveling across Sri Lanka. The railway network covers most of the major regions of the country, including the scenic hill country and the coastal areas. Trains offer a more spacious and relaxing ride than buses, but they can also be slower and less frequent. You can choose from different classes of trains, ranging from economy to first class. Some trains also have special carriages with air conditioning and catering services.
- Cars: Cars are a convenient and flexible option for exploring Sri Lanka at your own pace. You can rent a car with or without a driver from various agencies or hotels. Driving in Sri Lanka can be challenging due to traffic congestion, road conditions and driving habits of locals. Therefore, hiring a driver might be a safer and easier option for first time visitors.
- Tuk Tuks: Tuk Tuks are three-wheeled vehicles that can accommodate up to three passengers. They are ubiquitous in Sri Lanka and can be found everywhere from urban areas to rural villages. Tuk Tuks are ideal for short distances or places that are not accessible by other means of transport. They are also cheap and fun to ride, but make sure to negotiate the fare before getting in.
- Helicopters: Helicopters are an expensive but fast and comfortable way of traveling between different regions of Sri Lanka. They offer a bird's eye view of the stunning landscapes and attractions of the country. Helicopters can be booked through some hotels or travel agencies.